It’s officially Fall (AKA my absolute favorite season if you couldn’t tell). It’s chilly outside- which means my wardrobe of blanket scarves and extra big sweaters can finally make an appearance. The weather outside just makes everything better. Staying in your cozy bed on Sunday morning, complaining of the ice cold floor as you finally get out of your warm cocoon of blankets, and of course- snuggling up to a hot cup of coffee.
So what could be better?
Answer: snuggling up to a hot cup of coffee AND a slice of this spiced apple bouquet cake.
This cake has the perfect fall spices (ginger & cinnamon is such an under-appreciated combination of fall flavor, who’s with me?). It has chopped almonds hidden inside that add texture & a beautiful bouquet of apple roses showcased on top. It’s a recipe that’s sure to impress!
The key to making this cake a success is making extremely thin apple slices. Keep in mind that they have to be able to bend and wrap once they’re warmed up! Actually creating the roses was fun. It gave me an excuse to watch a television show as I created the gorgeous little buds of apple roses. The batter is also the perfect consistency so that the apple roses are able to stick in the batter and not unravel as you continue adding more. So don’t be intimated by how complex these roses look- it’s truly fun and simple! You start with the thinnest slice you can, roll it up, and then just wrap another slice around it. Continue on doing this until the bud is as big as you want! I kept accidentally varying the sizes of the roses, and I loved how it turned out!
So go forth and celebrate fall with this wonderful Apple Spiced Bouquet Cake. I’ll end with a comment that Stacie over at SugarFaceBakes said about this cake- “[these are] the only flowers I want on my table!” and I couldn’t agree more!
- 1 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 tsp cinnamon
- 2 tbsp brown sugar
- 1 packet of Ginger Tea (or 1 tsp ground ginger spice)
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 2 large eggs
- 3 tbsp heavy cream
- 2 tbsp honey
- 1/4 cup coconut oil, melted
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup almonds, chopped
- 5 mini apples or 3 large apples, halved & thinly sliced
- 3 tbsp sugar
- 2 tbsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tsp lemon juice
- Prepare a cake pan by lightly greasing the bottom and sides. Set aside.
- In a stand mixer with the paddle attachment, add the flour, sugar, cinnamon, baking soda, salt, and cardamom. Mix lightly to incorporate together.
- Add in eggs and butter. Cream together until well combined.
- Gradually add vanilla extract and milk. Mix well.
- Scoop batter into pie pan. Set aside.
- In a separate bowl, add apple slices. Microwave for a 30 second interval, twice.
- Add sugar, cinnamon, vanilla extract, and lemon juice. Stir to evenly coat slices.
- Preheat oven to 350 F degrees. During this time, you can begin the bouquet decoration.
- Start with a very thin slice, and roll to form the center of rose. Hold tightly and wrap with another thin slice. Make sure to start the next slice wrap on the opposite side of the previous slice, so that you only have to hold onto the outer "petal" as you grow them. Once a rose bud is formed, firmly plant into the side of the cake pan. Continue to add buds of varying sizes until the top is fully covered.
- Bake for about 40 minutes or until a knife pierced into the middle emerges clean.
- Allow to cool for 5 minutes. Then serve fresh out the oven with a cup of coffee or scoop of vanilla ice cream on top!