Summer is officially ending- which means Fall is around the corner! Personally I’m not big on summer (especially since I don’t get summers off anymore #ughadultlife). On the other hand, I am obsessed with Fall- the cold weather, the big sweaters, the warm delicious desserts baking fresh and spreading aroma throughout the house. What’s not to love? Seriously, I’m stocking up on fall candles and taking all my blankets out of storage. Fall is real at my place.
It’s not just me, right? Summer is hot and sticky and usually I try to spend it indoors as often as I can. Well, that being said, summer is the time for delicious juicy fruits! So when I was grocery shopping the other week, I realized it was one of my last times to stock up on peaches and plums! Just cause I don’t love summer, doesn’t mean I can’t send it off with a big bang right? Well this cake definitely delivered.
The cake underneath is light, fluffy, and toasted. It has hints of cardamom and cinnamon, a welcoming to the upcoming fall. It’s a light addition but definitely flows through the cake (and the oven to the apartment). And, of course, the decoration on top! An easy arrangement of sliced plums and peaches, which lets the ingredients do the decorating for you. The recipe turned out perfect for an end-summer & beginning-fall dessert! Serve fresh out the oven with a cup of coffee or a scoop of vanilla ice cream, your friends will be fawning over it!
- 1/2 cup turbinado sugar
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp cardamom
- 2 large eggs
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter at room temperature, diced
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tbsp milk
- 1 peach, sliced
- 1 plum, sliced
- 2 tbsp sugar
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tsp lemon juice
- Preheat oven to 325 F degrees. Prepare a pie pan by lightly greasing the bottom and sides. Set aside.
- In a stand mixer with the paddle attachment, add the flour, sugar, cinnamon, baking soda, salt, and cardamom. Mix lightly to incorporate together.
- Add in eggs and butter. Cream together until well combined.
- Gradually add vanilla extract and milk. Mix well.
- Scoop batter into pie pan. Set aside.
- In a separate bowl, add slices of peach and plum. Microwave for a 30 second interval.
- Add sugar, vanilla extract, and lemon juice. Stir to evenly coat slices.
- Arrange slices on top of cake batter, starting with outer layer and working in to the center.
- Bake for about 40 minutes or until a knife pierced into the middle emerges clean.
- Allow to cool for 5 minutes. Then serve fresh out the oven with a cup of coffee or scoop of vanilla ice cream.