It’s exam week. I’m about to finish up my last pre-clinical round of exams. Seriously- that means I only have ONE more round of exams and then it’s straight to board studying until May! After those 2 board exams (yes I decided to take both step AND level exams, shh), it’s off to rotations and hospitals and seeing real patients. WHERE DID THE TIME GO? How am I half way through medical school?!
It’s all moving super quickly and stressfully- and, to be honest, everyone is exhausted. This last unit is all about Neurology. We saved the best (and by best, I mean hardest) for last. I am seriously forcing myself to keep studying (almost there!) and motivating myself through delicious cups of coffee & these oatmeal cookies.
Funnily enough, I made this other batch of Oatmeal Cookies right before a previous round of exams. Which got me thinking- why do I always crave oatmeal cookies during exam/intense studying? Honestly I think it’s a mixture of wanting to procrasti-bake, needing something healthy, needing something quick, and CRAVING chocolate. It’s a 2-in-1 bake, a healthy snack + delicious dessert.
I used the same recipe foundation from the previous oatmeal cookies, but added espresso (any way I can sneak in extra coffee into my day) and an EXTRA helping of chocolate. I made a big batch because I knew I was going to need this as motivation to keep studying this weekend & I would rather have too many than too few…and yet, here I am, with only about 3 left. I ate several of these myself, then decided to share the love and spread the motivation to fellow friends & classmates who also needed a boost of energy for studying.
After finalizing the recipe, I shared the final post with my mom, who I get to see this coming up weekend #yay, and she asked if I could remake a batch for her. Sooo let’s just say it’s safer to double this recipe and make a big batch because you’ll need it. I mean, who can resist roasted oats, honey, and dark chocolate oozing in each bite?
- 3 tablespoons honey
- 2 tablespoons water
- 2 1/2 tablespoons of coconut oil, melted
- 1 egg
- 1 1/2 teaspoon instant espresso powder
- 1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup whole wheat flour
- 1 1/2 cup old fashioned oats
- 1/4 cup of brown sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 cup dark chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees
- Prepare baking sheet with parchment paper and set aside.
- In a bowl, mix together the melted coconut oil with the espresso powder. Add in honey, water, egg, and vanilla extract.
- Gradually add the dry ingredients into the wet mixture.
- Once fully combined, stir in the dark chocolate chips.
- Drop spoonfuls of dough onto the baking sheet, about 1 inch apart from each other
- Bake for 10-12 minutes or until the cookie has come together and is browned on the edges.