It’s a badly kept secret that I’m obsessed with a good dark chocolate tart. The smooth chocolately filling is absolutely perfect. It’s a simple recipe with only 2 ingredients: dark chocolate + cold coconut cream. It makes the tart have a creamy, silky texture that is beyond decadent!
Since the dark chocolate filling is so rich, the crust has to match it but also balance it. I constantly try new crust recipes, as there’s so many different flavor combinations out there and it’s hard for me to pick a favorite! For those who love a crumbly and nutty texture, there’s the oatmeal and almond crusted tart. For those who love the sweet & salty combination, there’s the pretzel crusted tart. And now, for those who love everything coconut (aka me) there’s this new recipe! As always, it’s a simple recipe with few ingredients- but it always looks impressive and like it took 5x the actual time to whip up!
Coconut and dark chocolate are two ingredients that always go hand in hand for me. If you know me, you know I always bake coconut macaroons drizzled with dark chocolate when I need to bring something delicious to an event. Given that I’ve baked coconut macaroons a ridiculous amount of times, I have no idea why it’s taken me so long to create the same flavors in tart form. It’s definitely a recipe that I’m planning to make for my family next time I see them, and will always keep in my list for quick and delicious tarts!
- 1 cup coconut flakes
- 1/2 cup AP flour
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 2 tbsp coconut oil (or butter) melted
- 1 can cold coconut milk
- 1 cup dark chocolate
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- In a food processor, chop coconut flakes until it becomes a coarse sand-like mixture. Add in flour, vanilla, and coconut oil. Lightly pulse until well combined.
- Line a baking tray with parchment paper. Lightly grease your mini tart ring molds and place on top.
- Drop spoonfuls of crust mixture in tart pan. Press the mixture onto the parchment paper and against the wall of the ring molds to form the crust. Set aside until oven is ready.
- When oven is preheated, place the crusts in the middle rack and back for 13 minutes, or until the crust is browned.
- Set crusts aside to cool.
- Place a sauce pan over medium heat.
- From a chilled can of coconut milk, scoop the cream and place into the pan. (You will not be using the water in the coconut milk for this recipe so you may discard it or reserve it for something else.)
- Add in the dark chocolate as well.
- Whisk ingredients together until the chocolate has melted and you have a rich, creamy sauce.
- Pour the chocolate mixture into the cooled tart crusts. Make sure to fill up to the crust brim only, as it will pour over if you pour too much or too quickly.
- Place tarts in fridge for 3 hours or until firm.
- When the filling is set, gently pop the tarts out of the ring mold by pressing with all fingertips at the bottom and working your way around the ring.
- Slice up and serve!